Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Edward Burtynsky's Inspiration

In class today our discussion stemmed from Edward Burtynsky's photographs of "modern landscapes." Also known as ways people have trashed the earth. The images he has captured are horrifically beautiful. Orange rivers of nickel tailings in a barren black wasteland, piles of tires remniscent of Springfield's own never-ending tire fire, and scars of quarries, dams, and vast factories. (Visit his website or join in the conversation on sustainability here.) For about an hour-and-a-half I felt like I was involved in a Captain Planet meeting, and I was all for it. (I was probably the wind girl, what with all my talk of Gary's amazing wind turbines. Man, I always felt bad for the heart dude.)

Why can't we each just do our little part? Recycle your bottles and cans. Did you know that glass never decomposes? NEVER. You throw out that Orange Cream Soda bottle, and it sits in a landfill forever. How many everlasting-garbage-bottles are on you conscience now, eh?
One thing that I knew about, but when it was brought up in class really made me angry was all those electric cars made by Ford and the oil companies had a cow about them taking away their profits, so they were shut down! This wasn't in Saudi Arabia or the Soviet Union. This occurred in California. AMERICA! We're CAPITALISTS here. They weren't stealing patented ideas or selling stolen car parts; they made a product that competed with oil, but since it was before gas prices were a big deal, nobody cared when it was shut down. We didn't care about oil until it bit us in the bank. It doesn't matter how long we've been sucking down fumes. Do you realize what that says about us? We care more about money than we do about ourselves. "Aw, I'd rather save a couple bucks now than be healthy a few years down the line." We care more about now than the future. What a pathetic state to be in. What about the world we're making for our children and grandchildren? Which brings to mind an excellent quote:

"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex."

- Jack Handey

Anyway, is alls I'm-a-tryin' t' say is this:
Captain Planet, he's a hero! Gonna take pollution down to zero!

"THE POWER IS YOURS!"


No comments: